Here are some books you may like to ask for (or give) at Christmas this year!
Round One: For the sports fanatics:
- MIKE LUPICA! Did you catch that? A prominent sports writer in general, he is also, in my humble opinion, Mr. Young-Adult-Sports-Fiction. Million Dollar Throw is his latest sports novel.
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls may appeal to the young outdoorsmen in your midst. Hiking and hunting abound in this classic.
- Jerry Spinelli's Crash and Maniac Magee stealthily hide some of those great life lessons about growing up in tales about football (Crash) and running (Maniac Magee).
- Now, I must confess that I have not read these next two, but John Feinstein's Cover-Up: Mystery at the Super Bowl and Last Shot fit the bill for this category and have gotten some positive reviews for this age group.
- You may also want to check out some athlete biographies geared towards this age group. Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton is a particular favorite of mine.